Monday, July 25, 2011

My Projects....continued

So I have been building a set of dressers, 3 to be in fact.  They are coming along quite nicely, atleast I think so :-)

I choose a black cherry stain ( when I first put it on it looked purple and I was worried ).  When dried it looks great, I completely love it!!


 Then comes varnishing.  I originally tried a clear satin on a dresser, but then I decided to try a little more shiny and went with a semi-gloss.  The semi-gloss won.  I like the shine, it gives it a little pizzazz.  Varnishing takes awhile; coat, let it dry, sand, wipe, coat, let it dry, sand, wipe. You get the picture.  I ended up only doing three coats, I've heard that some go up to like 10 or more...I liked 3.



Finally done with varnishing and now it is putting together the drawers!!
Coach's drawers

For my drawers I went with a metal glide system.  I lose some space, but it is worth it.  Especially since my dressers with the wood and rubber glide sysyem are falling apart and I want these to last!

 I ran out of plywood so this is as far as I have gotten....


Not to shabby, and they are even sturdy!


 My other project I've been working on is this guy.  This is Big T's piggy bank, well it will be soon (hopefully).  I bought this before he turned one and it was going to be a birthday gift, but I never got it painted.  I finally started painting on it.  I'm no great painter, in fact I'm terrible and I've been half tempted to have my mom paint it.  She rocks at painting!
But I decided I want to be gutsy and paint this piggy!  I still might have my mommy do the eyes though.

6 comments:

  1. Those look awesome! Are we on the waiting list?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking go babe. Keep up the amazing woodwork. I please no more dings on my dresser.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very impressive!! Those are awesome dressers! the pig is nice too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! I feel dresser envy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH! I love these! Great job lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are awesome! I wish i knew how to do stuff like that! They look great!!!!

    ReplyDelete