Tuesday, April 5, 2011

O Remember, Remember

This weekend was such a great weekend, filled with messages of Hope, Help, and Love. My folks and I were able to go to the Saturday morning session in the Conference Center.  It was a neat experience, I've never sung with a congregation that big before!  Of course there was so much more great things in the messages of General Conference, but as Elder Jeffery R Holland put it as long as they teach by the Spirit, and we listen by the Spirit each one of us will get something personally out of the talks!!  I know this to be true, and it was confirmed by reading other blogs.
Now I need to take Alma's words to his son Helaman and "Remember, Remember" and burn the messages into my heart to stay.

On another note.....
I read and hear of people deciding to run, or how much they love to run.  I then think to myself, I used to run, how come I don't run anymore?
My junior year in high school I was in a tragic car accident ( I was not the only one in the vehicle).  I was ejected from the car and severed my left achilles tendon, busted the heel bone of the left foot, had my left pinky toe sewn back on, banged up my left knee pretty bad, broke my tailbone, and had numerous stitches on left leg and my buttocks. I got lots of scrapes on my right leg, but nothing that required stitches, my left leg took the beating!!
After 3 months in a wheel chair, another 2 ish months on crutches, and another 2/3 months in a boot I was able to use my leg again.  I did water therapy for exercise which was tougher than I thought water workouts were.  My senior year I decided to run x-country.  I wasn't the fastest, but I ran and then iced and stretched and worked out my heel every night.  I actually ended up placing 7th (in JV) at the last race...yeah me!!
In college I started running less and less, it seemed like I only ran when I need to pound out my frustration on the pavement.  Then after college I hardly ran at all, and when I did I got some bad shin splints ( probably from not properly stretching ).  When I got married it was alot of just sports, Ultimate Frisbee, Basketball, and some others.  I LOVE doing sports, I always have and always did and always will. 
Now that you have some background on me, I'll continue my actual running story.
Yesterday I wanted to go for a run, everyone else seemed to be running, so I supposed I should.  About a half a mile into my run my left knee started to kill me!!  I had no steps in between starting to hurt to killing me , just starting to hurt to BAM I'm limping!!!  Then I Remembered, that it has been hurting on my runs since after college, it just took longer for me to feel the pain and hurt than it did yesterday.  I've tried a brace on it and it didn't help. Yet it doesn't make any sense to me that when I play sports, or even when I was refereeing basketball, I don't notice any pain in my knee at all!!
I did my parents eliptical today and there was no pain either, in the knee, my Lungs is a totally different story.
How could I not remember that my left knee hurts when I run...."that is why we don't run Cami, you need to stop trying to run like everyone else and accept where your limits are!!"

To most of you this probably seems like some random crap, but for me my running story is also a metaphor for other, somewhat deeper things in my life and how the talks at General Conference helped me.   We all have different experiences in our life and they sort of shape and mold us into who we are, but even the bad experiences can (eventually) be shaped into something good.  It just may be doing sports, instead of running!

1 comment:

  1. I think you hit it right on the head. There are so many other ways to get physical exercise. It is true thought, you love sports and do well with them, I am not coordinated to play sports and so I love running.
    That is awesome that you got to go to conference, pretty awesome experience. You are right there were messages for everyone and one person can listen to the same talk and get something different out due to their circumstance in life.
    I love you keep being the person that you are even if it means no running.

    ReplyDelete