Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dogs & Big T

When I found out I was pregnant I was nervous about having a baby around our dog Spartacus.  Not because he is vicious or mean, but because he is stupid and overly excited.  I was scared he would not pay attention at all and sit or knock Big T down.  I wasn't nervous about Lucius, our husky, because he loved babies and is much more aware of his surroundings.

Big T came home and Lucius was as I suspected, curious.  He was gentle with him and somewhat protective.  Spartacus surprised me, he pretty much ignored Big T and when he did check him out it was one huge kiss and then he walked away.  We did have to teach both dogs some boundries but I figured we would.

As Big T got older Lucius wasn't as curious about him or as protective, he stills "drops by" to say hello though.  Spartacus has been the most surprising for me. He lets Big T climb all over him and pull on his tail, and when he has had enough he just simply leaves and lays down somewhere else. Of course sometimes Big T crawls to Spartacus and then Spartacus has to move again, usually by that time Big T gives up.  Lucius doesn't stay put and allow Big T that much play time with him.  He will  let him for a short while, but not nearly as much as Spartacus and definitely not with the face.

I am very, very pleased that both my dogs are good with Big T and with other children.  There have been some knock downs , but I have also knocked down Big T and other children, so I can't complain.

There are lots of people who don't like dogs around their children, and I respect their views, but for me personally I want my children to be around dogs.  When they start walking and playing outside I know that my dogs will be perfect companions and will protect and watch over my children, like my childhood dogs did.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more with you! I think exposure is a good thing for kids and animals. Obviously there have to be some limits like you said but otherwise I think it's a great thing! I love the pictures! You're blog is always so fun to visit!

    ReplyDelete